Fresh or Artificial….?
Deciding on flowers for your big day may seem a daunting task, however we are here to offer a little help and advice!
Traditionally, fresh flowers have been the preferred choice by most couples, however, more recently artificial alternatives have become an increasingly popular choice. This is largely due to the cost difference! Artificial can look just as amazing but for a fraction of the cost of fresh.
This is coupled with the fact artificial flowers obviously have a much longer life span, meaning they can be safely wrapped up and kept as a memorable sentiment.
Another popular option which more and more couples are choosing to have is a combination of the two! Many couples are opting to have fresh flowers to decorate the ceremony location (particularly outdoor venues) whilst opting for artificial bouquets & button holes for themselves and the bridesmaids/groomsmen by way of a keepsake.
A few things to think about before deciding..
- Set a realistic budget Generally you can expect to set aside around 5% of your overall budget for flowers. Obvious;y this will fluctuate slightly either way depending on the size of your wedding and whether you opt for fresh/artificial or a mixture of both.
- Create a mood board to gather your ideas This is a fantastic tip when planning your wedding and is great for narrowing down colour choices & theme. Choosing your colours is half the battle! Another helpful tool is searching #weddingflowers on Instagram & Pinterest for lots of tips and inspiration
- Be mindful of the season Depending when your wedding is may determine what flowers you will be able to get hold of so this is definitely worth baring in mind when your in the planning stages.
- Be prepared to do some leg work Although the internet is the go to place when searching for things we want, when it comes to choosing flowers for such a special day nothing beats visiting florists in person! This way you can see exactly what they offer and discuss exactly what you are looking for, you can even take your mood board along with you! You may also be able to negotiate a better discount!
- Keep your theme in mind Once you have decided on your colour and theme choice its worthwhile remaining conscious of it when planning your flowers. For example if you are opting for a rustic, barn wedding you may want to remain in keeping with the theme by choosing a wild flower arrangement with lots of greenery, however if your opting for a lavish, modern theme then a neat arrangement of delicate roses may be a more fitting choice.
Have you thought about personalising your flowers?
Your wedding flowers are a lovely way to add a personalised touch to your ceremony, whether it be a representation of a national flower which has meaning to you or your family or a picture charm of a loved who is no longer here but you wish to include in your special day. Some couples also opt for coloured ribbon with sentimental meaning.
When should you order your flowers?
Ideally, at least 6 months in advance! This ensures your chosen florist has plenty of notice and can guarantee they will be available to travel to your venue on the morning of your wedding (if required) to place your flowers where planned. A lot of the in demand florists tend to start booking up at least 12 months in advance so its definitely one to get booked earlier rather than later!
If you are planning on creating your own flowers, this can be a savvy way to save on the flower budget! However, I would suggest starting as soon as possible, especially if flower arranging is not your forte. It may take a few attempts to get them just as you envisioned. It may also take some researching to source good quality flowers, especially if you’re opting for artificial ones as the quality really does vary considerably!
Choosing your flowers doesn’t have to feel like a mind field. With a little planning & organising you can soon have it ‘ticked’ off the list!! Whether you choose to create a mood board or simply choose to write a ‘to do’ list. The key is leave yourself enough time so it doesn’t become a chore or a last minute rush!
In next weeks blog we will be talking all things ‘wedding hair’ offering tips and ideas on all the latest trends, including budget friendly styles, DIY hair-ups & hair decor…